Skip to main content

My Home Journey of Ajumhara Journal


In Addis Ababa at the Somali mall the Anyuawa words " man miro kire! " " man beer ninao! "man wopdoch ka agnudee " much more  words were echoed in my presence May 22- 15 by a Somali merchant women, while in communication with me, and other fellows who accompanied to the mall. My friend she spoke to us without accent like somebody born, raised in Gambella.

The Somali merchant woman spoke the Anyuak words without spoiling them, without breaking them. without difficulty pronouncing them, I tell you the truth I was impressed delighted, challenged with how wrong I was in my thinking of " me, me not you " world views, a dangerous world view championed by most elites or petty bourgeoisie cultural  icons.

Of course the Somali merchant woman, narrative about engaging the world with such tool as language, mastering other languages than hers was a big lesson for all of us. I promised myself " then for more of my trips to Ethiopia now, in the future." And prior to this encounter I had also admiration for Somalis who were friends to me back in the days while I was a MA student at Minnesota State University Mankato USA. And those days I had a good relation with them all, they were friendly, approachable, understanding, I may say down to earth people, straight, frankly speaking people. In my views their ways of approaching, engaging people of different faith, cultures are example of good social engineering.  The world would be much more better with good exchanges of interrelationship of diverse cultures.

Look Anyuak are tiny minority in Ethiopia but to have some people spoke their language as far as people from Somali community in the midst of trade, commercial transaction is amazing, it meant a lot in the globalization paradigm. The world according Thomas Friedman has become " flat, narrow, shallow, linked without difficulties than ever before. He said countries, individuals; companies are becoming more competitive for market share, geographical separations, borderlines demarcations he postulates were things of the past, irrelevant, obstacles to globalization moves.

I find Somalis I met, interacted with very fast, smart, quick learner of something foreign to their language. Folks, I have doubt of the globalization effect, globalization now, with its tentacles stretched out had already reached the remotest corner of planet, it has been real evident that the world is becoming one via communication, technological break through, both tools, others have narrowed the gaps before our very own eyes . One finds nomadic tribes travelling by camels saying " hello-hello on the phone they carries throughout deserts of the world, my friends who will doubt the narrative put forward by others, again like Thomas Friedman who describes the world as flat, narrow, bridgeable that the world have become one, shallow, short reachable by any means.

I believe language as many social scientists would tell us is the main focal point to bridging the divides between different cultures, outlooks. It is a wonderful tool made available to us by the creator; we should be trying to learn each other languages for, dialogues, communication, fun, love, peaceful coexistence. It is important we know each other’s languages, fun to know other people languages for the sake of getting along. The world is becoming too small we had to be prepared, equipped ourselves with languages around for the purposes of linking people together through communication.

I understand more than never before that knowing another language in our lives is imperative, important tool for understanding, and engagements between people of divers cultures. The believe that communication blows away misunderstanding, misinterpretation; ill-perception, misconception about others is truer than never before. It makes people feel more wanted, closer, important. I think in a mac-world we are heading into we shouldn't limits ourselves to our narrow world of localities. I think we should expand our thinking, dip ourselves into language pools. You see I am from one of those minorities whose lives are remote from national spotlights, where their numbers statistically don't even count; typically demographers count them as others.

But despite all barriers of remoteness, I found my language spoken in commercial transaction; I was surprised, at the same times astonished by the situation. It was one of the phenomenal thing I would never think could occur in my life time, but it did. Folks you don't understand how important I felt that day with my ego ballooned, from decade of dead self-esteem, rejections, denials. I was morally boosted, spirited again, I rekindled self-worthiness, my soul raised to a better feeling of being important, dejected from isolationism of the bourgeoisie culture.

So I considered myself lucky, paramount, important, honored, and respected, like someone who had discovered an area of gold mine to himself. You see this phenomenon happened in the midst trade where I was buying whole sale clothing to take to my people, distribute them free to fatherless kids. I am a king my world of Ajumhara, of Gambella, as the Indian taxi drive from New York once asked about how he felt coming to his people he said " well here I am treated like a king with all the love I am given, no amount of money can buy but there in New York I am nobody, I am just a taxi driver with no significant."

I think I bought as much clothing as I can, I was telling this merchant woman I want this, I want that, I need more of this and that, top it on with sashay or handkerchiefs, those body creams there. I had one of my company telling me those are enough from her, I think we should go to a different merchant, you never know some might lower the commodity prices for you, I said okay, but would they merchants over there speak Anyuak to us, they say no, than I am not going I think I better spent all the money I want to spend on this shop whose owner so nice, eager to speak our language voluntarily, without difficulty. Do you know what it means? It means that she/he or husband had accepted us as equal as important partners in trade, commercial transaction we have been doing with her,

One has to be careful with trade or commerce in our African culture, what do I meant by that? I mean one had to established a working relationship first, foremost, because working relationship has more valued in all our African culture, it is important than money. One has to establish relation and our community has done that homework best for ourselves. Now it is up to us to accelerate the dynamic, make it glamorous, enjoyable.

We must be very careful in dealing with merchants in markets here or anywhere else. They are not all good as one might have thoughts so. And markets as we all know have been marred with volatility. Although markets have been self regulators in Africa, had good reputations but in them one finds many more obstacles: thieves, cheaters, blackmailers, false traders I told them let's not go there, let's save ourselves from risks, here at least we know somebody, when we find something unsatisfactory we tell her/him her husband in the language we all know " nya nye watwa agena-agno ne motwani en " you my friend why did you cheated us with this " we would tell her/he in a manners of a joke minding the important our relationship first, not the friction.

It should be a challenges that comes in a friendly manners which is good business. It is a mechanism used throughout the world of commerce to solving problems through: dialogues = effective communication= positive relations = no frictions, It is a win-win situation without hurting each other playing field? I think we all agreed to spent our money where everybody knows our names. Good, fair, excellent for business

Conclusion: If anyone goes, to everyplace where everyone knows his /her name, there's lesser chances of running into troubles.The Luo people in Ethiopia have not yet reached that apogee of political, economic, social development they wanted but have been charging system enough not to be forgotten like numbers, pushing to reach highest height through education, bringing a recognition they deserved to their names. The Anyuak were/are saying we are one in this world, this world is mine, and yours also it was the most reading I saw from faces that were interacting with each other that day.

Comments

Oh wow. I'm impressed by the Somali merchants learning Dha Anywaa at that level. It was not long ago when Somalis reached to Gambella. I remember in 1992-4 there was only one Somali lady in Dimma woreda, Gambella but today they many of them. They are the ones extracting gold. One thing I love about Somalis people is that they are friendly, easy to interact with unlike our habeshas people. I totally agreed with you my friend. I would rather spent all my money at their place than to another business who don't speak or careless to know of my heritage.

Anyuak language is not a small language anymore. Even learning to speak Anyuak is far beneficial than learning Amharic because with Amharic like any other Ethiopian languages except Anyuak are localized mainly to Ethiopia. With Anyuak language go to Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, South Sudan and DR Congo, it can help you find your way. Also Anyuak have positive influence over others. A pastor in Mankato, once told Ojoye Akane and I that we Anyuak are fewer in Mankato compared to other African communities but we are good at reaching out to larger community. He was happy the way Anyuak spread love and connection with their host community.

I remember in Addis Ababa in 2008, were coming back to the motel where we were staying and a street boy shoes polisher shocked us by speaking to us in fluent Anyuak. Than we asked him where he learned it, he said in Gambella. I just moved back to Addis, he said. We were like what if we said something negative about them in Anyuak language.

Remember, how we Anyuak used to fight with highlanders on buses, on streets in the mainland Ethiopia, when used to talk bad about us in Amharic assuming we're not Ethiopians? That helped liberate other Africans from abuses on the streets.

These days we have to be careful how we use languages to talk about others whom we assumed from distance places. Globalization had brought everything to fingertip my friend. Good job!
Ajumhara said…
O''kono great discussion, I like more of your input on the topic. You, I know a little more about the Somalis when we were at the university with them back in day. I think I remember very well those good friends, I still cherished our good relation with them. Last time I met one of them in cafeteria at Ras Dashen. Okon to tell the truth I didn't even remember her name but on the contrary she still remember mine. She called me "my prime minister from back I turned to look whose calling me, there she was a colleague I used to encourage with her subject literature she was majoring. We hugged, she introduced to a bunch of friend that accompanied her. Okono this Somali girl like literature, writing, she is good at communication too. I used to tell her in a joke when I become a prime minister of Gambella, I am going to bring her, hire her as secretary of Gambella State. She said how you are going to do that? I said well remember I am prime minister I can do what I want. we laughed, laughed laughed at the joke.

Popular posts from this blog

Anyuak History 101 for Dummies

In a nutshell I have never heard of Anyuawa king of king but I have learned since childhood the existence of kings and chiefdom in the Anyuawaland and there were many of them in the old days scattered in different geographical locations. There is king of Otallo, next is prince of Ajuwara, there is king of Pochalla, king of Obudi, the rest of the kings were at batnam Akobo, two Abobo kings, Aparawagna, each king reigns within his own jurisdictions.There's no such thing as United Kingdom Of Anyuawa, like in the United Kingdom of England where other kings have been defeated during cyclical wars by English king of England, united other kingdoms under one rule called today United kingdom, 
 In larger part, the Anyuakland was under chiefdom, every entity whether it is kingdom or chiefdom were independent of each other’s. I do not know why some had poor recollection of Anyuawa history. I find some people poor to tell their own oral history as it is. I for one do not know that much eithe…

JORR MOMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION CONFERENCE NEWS BULLETIN.

The Jorr Community Development Association members teleconference meeting chair by Honorable, Okello Ojiel, Ojulu Wadi, discussed several topics pertaining: Health, Social, Economic, Education, and Disaster Reliefs issues of Jorr geographical area.  The Jorr Community Development Association (JCDA) meeting took four hours than expected but was worthy of time, it has been fruitful discussions. The meeting was concluded with adoption of several crucial and important resolutions paramount to rebuild, to restructure, to strengthened Jorr Community Development Association from its current status.
The Jorr Community Development Association (JCDA), pledged to reform the organization activities, carry out a more robust, creative, active approach in the re-consolidation of the organizational framework and for better functionality services. And JCDA agrees to change the old approach, promise to enhance the organization with new directives, encouraged members cut away wasteful time of doing noth…

WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET

This week if there’s anything good Gambella diaspora community has seen for a very longtime was the visit of her Excellency Deputy Minister for Children Affair Alemitu Omot here in Minnesota. Her excellency visit was vital, at this juncture a time the Gambellan community have been longing, wanting a figure heads like her to bring together already break up pieces of her Diaspora community.

Well “what you see is what you get”, she was some kind of a school master who discipline her pupils by the loud gong and everybody was lineup neatly with protocol intact, made some diaspora elements disruptive and counterproductive behaviors disappeared into thin air. No nonsense. No bullshit. Her Excellency spoke eloquently about the plight of community, she was aware of all the problems the community have been facing, without wasting of time she went straight to the points of all  contentions, saving huge time from confusion and illusion of usual diaspora meetings.
Madam Alemitu condemned, shamed th…